Friday, September 24, 2010

Slow night at the rec line, plus delayed tears for dead pets

On Friday nights during the school year, our city recreation center is turned it into a kids-only fun zone (3rd to 7th graders).  It is the center of my son's social life--he loves it.

Parents, however, have more of a love-hate relationship with it.  It takes 20+ minutes to get your kid signed in.  The people who run it are geniuses at creating adolescent fun and incompetents at efficiency.  Last year, I was next to my neighbor in line, and he was so mad I thought his head was going to explode!

We parents try to speed things up!  Most of us had downloaded, printed out, and filled in the form already--but then we had to stand there with form in hand 10 minutes just to hand it in to one of 6 teen-agers.  Then another 10 minutes in line to pay--with only 1 teen-ager collecting the money!  And of course everyone waits to ask their weighty questions of this one teen-ager collecting the money.  GRRRRRRRRR.

Son had a big math test today.  He "thinks" he did well.  The poor kid was up to 10:25 last night--about 45 minutes later than usual.  The big hold up?  No, he wasn't studying for the test.  He had to color in an outline of a football helmet with the logo of the Houston Texans.  Yes, it takes him 45 minutes to do something like that, all told.  No, he is not much of an artist.  No, I don't know why they are coloring anything football-ish, but my son assures me there is a larger point to it.  I wish the teacher would warn us when they send home meaningless assignments, because those are, without fail, what take the longest for my son to complete.

My daughter has been crying lately about our cat who died a year ago.  She asked some pointed questions about where he was when he died, etc.--details better left unstated.  Our dog also died last year--more tears about that also.  Not sure why this is coming up now.  Delayed kindergarten angst?

No comments:

Post a Comment