Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stupid me agreed to a minor admin position

Earlier this summer, I agreed to take on an administrative post.  I will be the director of the XYZ Center.  Hopefully it won't be too time-consuming. I get a graduate assistant and a course release (one course less per year). 

I just saw the XYZ Center office.  It is in a new building that I didn't even know existed.  The building is nice and shiny new and has a very nice and expensive espresso machine (free espresso).  Beautiful, absolutely beautiful, views on the upper floors.  Our office is in the basement--no view at all.   

It is a research building.  Not only did I not know that this building existed.  But I also did not realize how many faculty now had second offices there--with beautiful views! 

Who really needs two offices?  And who decides who gets these offices?  It is very arbitrary, really.  If you were asked to join a research group sometime before last year, you got a prime second office last year.  There are only very few such research groups, and their themes are very specific.  My research doesn't fit.  Same with many faculty more prolific/successful than me. 

The situation reeks.  I wish I still didn't know about this building.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh administrative posts are the stuff of nightmares! My dissertation director just left my R1 university after taking on an administrative post - all this was, of course, after experiencing extreme racial discrimination, a tenure-related scare, and adopting a baby girl! In any case, seeing her struggles as an admin, professor, and advisor really makes me wish you didn't have to go through all that! I assume - and am hoping - that it's only for one semester?

    - Amanda Renee at http://academiquechic.com/

    ReplyDelete