Wednesday, February 9, 2011

From cool R&R to forthcoming!

Back in mid-December, I wrote about being in "revising jail" and finally submitting a revise and resubmit to the top journal in my field.  My manuscript had been branded a "cool R&R," as opposed to a warm and inviting R&R..

So I wasn't hopeful today when I saw the journal's email sitting in my inbox.  I braced myself and opened it quickly to not prolong the pain (like pulling off a band-aid quickly). 

My eyes scanned for relevant words and settled on "congratulations"!  So it is accepted! It seems like there won't even but much final revision required on my part.

It has been a while since I have had a major acceptance like this.  I was on a great roll in the early-to-mid 2000s.  Then I got two big grants, which entailed very time-consuming fieldwork plus other gathering and analyzing and supervising of grad students (that's the good thing and the bad thing about grants).  Then I had a 2nd child and got tenure.  Then I went on the job market.  Then I got a new job and we moved.  Then I helped repopulate an extremely dysfunctional department (very stable and healthy now). 

And in that time of major transitions, my publications have been slim.  I have had a few--three.  But not big ones.  And I have two book manuscripts slowly coming along--very slowly.

This paper acceptance makes me feel back on track.  I can do this!  Even with two kids!  Even with a ski-day or two a week!  That is, even with a life outside of work!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome news. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!

    Just found your blog; we have a lot in common from our profiles, save that I'm not at an R1 university (ours is teaching-oriented). But I know how hard it is to stay productive on the writing front with kiddos, so kudos on the acceptance!

    ReplyDelete